FATHER HENNEPIN BLUFFS
"This was the site from which Father Louis Hennepin, the
Franciscan priest, first viewed the falls of St. Anthony
in June of 1680. He named the falls after his patron
saint St. Anthony of Padua.
"The famous waterfall was responsible for the birth of
Minneapolis. The cateract is the most abrubt drop in the
2,200 mile course of the Mississippi river.
"This immediate ground, which commemorates St. Anthony
falls, was the former Lucy Wilder Morris park. The
original size of the area was three-tenths of an
acre and is owned by the Hennepin County Historical
"During the summer of 1971, this land with the surrounding
unused Northern States Power Company acreage was
cleaned, revitalized, and opened to the public. The
entire six acre tract was at that time renamed
Father Hennepin Bluffs."
Attribution License, Created by Jason Riedy
Keywords: historical, marker, Mississippi, river, park, historical marker, Mississippi river, Minneapolis, Minnesota Picture taken July 9th, 2012 View Full Size Something wrong with this photo? Click here to let us know!